Thursday, April 14, 2011

Pinching pennies

It has been one full year now since I have been gainfully employed.  No unemployment, no severence, nothing.  I have learned alot in that one year.  Like what is important.  But I have also learned how to live on much less.  Some of it is very fundimental, some not so much.  I would love to share what I have learned as well as maybe get some ideas from you. 

To start with, let me explain something.  I want to save money and the planet, but I do draw the line....I will not make dresses out of burlap bags, dig in the dumpsters for food, or grind my own wheat for bread.  If you are into that, then this is probably not the place for you.  I applaud you, just don't want to be you.

It's Springtime people.  So lets start with this one seasonal saving:  Plant.  I know that you may live on a 10 floor apartment, or maybe you have a farm, but wherever you are, you can save money by planting.  Make sure it is food that you like.  Don't plant an acre of green beans if you hate them.  Last spring, we planted cucumbers, carrots, tomatoes, beets, corn, squash, pumpkins, potatoes, lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, peas, peppers and lots of onions.   Since I live in the mountains, we planted much in our greenhouse.  We have had one for years.  But if that isn't in your budget, make one.   In addition to our greenhouse, we built a temporary one of scrap lumber, pvc and plastic.  If you have a longer growing season, you may not want or need one.  We also started many of our plants in our basement and transplanted when the last frost is over.  That way you can start seeds, not seedlings, which are more expensive. 

No greenhouse?  No acreage?  No worries.  You can harvest lettuce, potatoes, and more from pots on your deck or terrace. 

I'm not an expert gardener.  You can get books from the local library for free, google questions on the internet, or simply ask at your local nursery.  But I am gaining expertise at pinching those pennies.  I canned or froze some of nearly everything we planted last year.  When there was so much zucchini that I was ready to scream, I ran some through the food processor and measured out enough for my favorite recipes and froze it in freezer bags.  I canned pickles, beets, tomatoes, salsa, applesauce, peppers, and more.  And when the holidays rolled around, fresh zucchini bread and home-made salsa were hits with everyone!

Start thinking about it.  Fresh food, little cost.....How can you go wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment