Friday, April 22, 2011

Friday thoughts

There are lots of ways to save money because so many of us are just plain wasteful.  But one of the quickest and easiest ways is at the grocery stores.  Couponing is a great way to save, but that is a tip for another day.  Let's just think about ads and membership cards.  Nearly every store has its own membership card.  I have worn out a couple over the years, but that's okay, nearly all are can be accessed through your phone number.  ALWAYS use your card, even if you are only picking up one thing.  There are a couple of reasons for this.  First, many of the stores track your purchases and you will either receive coupons in the mail or on-line via email for the items that you buy.  If you think that is too big-brotherish, you may be right.  But I am willing to sacrifice someone looking in to my grocery cart to save money.  The second reason is that many stores give discounts at the gas pumps based on your purchases.  If I can save $.10-$.50 per gallon, I will. 

Secondly, sign up for your store's emails or newsletters.  In Denver, ads hit the paper on Wednesday for grocery stores.  Sometimes you can get advance notice on ads, as well as special promotions.  And one of our chains (check where you live) sends out an email on Tuesday so you can plan a day in advance.  Sunflower Markets does this and then overlaps ads.  This means that on Wednesday, if you shop at Sunflower Markets, you can take advantage of last week's ads as well as this coming week ads.   And don't think for a minute because Sunflower Markets sounds too all-natural, Boulderish, that it is expensive.  Sure, you may pay a little more for specialty items, but in-season produce is sold at remarkable prices.  I have purchased pineapple for $.99, berries for $.77 and this week canteloupe is 4/$5 as is strawberries, mandarines and pineapple.

Another reason to sign up is that you can load e-coupons onto your membership card.  No need to carry all those coupons.  I know sometimes I buy something, forgetting I have a coupon, but if it is loaded on your card, no worries!  One of my markets also sends me frequent shopper discounts which normally result in about 10%.  I saved $18 on an order of $180!

So get to know your markets! 

No comments:

Post a Comment