Monday, January 23, 2023

How is it going?

 January is winding down and that is just fine with me.  We have had cold temps followed by spring-like weather, then just so Mother Nature can remind us it is still winter, we have cold temps again.  I miss the smell of green grass, the sight of blooming flowers, and the feel of warm soil beneath my feet.  But just like anything else, I know it is coming so I need to get prepared.

All of our medical stuff is in the rearview now so I am ready to move on! I'm like "okay already!  Lets get this party started!"  I love going to the stores this time of year as the seeds and seedlings start showing up.  Spring is a time of planting, new goat kids, and baby chicks.  Our nannies are getting rounder by the minute, our hens are starting to resume laying, and I saw some surprise lily leaves poking through the ground out by the goat pen.  Though it is January, life is still good. 

My Etsy shop is still going steady but has slowed down since the holidays.  I am working on getting a new pattern completed and finishing up all of the things I have started...so many.  This includes a bunch of ornaments that are only partially completed, an ottoman that is half-painted and unupholstered, and working on more wood slice ideas.  Keep ya posted!

Tonight is bee class.  We started beekeeping in 2020 and have really struggled.  We have only one hive right now and they seem to be thriving.  We intend to purchase at least one more hive this year, and if possible, split the one we have.  Hubs got stung the other day when he was nosing around the hive on a warm day.  It was kinda his own fault since he had no protective gear on.  It is easy to get a little lax when the bees are as docile as ours are, but getting stung in the face is not fun.  

I am so happy that I have a basement full of canned and frozen food from our garden last year.  It was so bountiful!  We also enjoy honey and eggs and soon we will be getting goat milk.  With prices like they are, growing your own food is so worth it!  And you know everything that you are eating.  Even if you have a small yard or an apartment balcony, you can grow some things.  

I did a bunch of seed saving this year.  I hope that the seeds produce so that I can continue to grow produce without having to spend the money on seed packets.  

I know it is January.  It may be cold or snowy where you live.  But it isn'gardeningt too early to start thinking about gardenting.  Give it some thought! More later on starting plants from seeds instead of seedlings.  

Have a good week my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment