Thursday, October 13, 2022

Frost Warning, Seed Saving, and Pruning

 So we had our first frost warning and I still have many tomatoes on the vine.  Rather than lose them, I decided to pick the ones that are ripe, partially ripe, and the large green ones.  I mean, how many could that be? Right?


I only took seven of my gallon tubs back to the garden, so when I filled them up, I quit picking.  I left some green cherry tomatoes, some green Romas, and some of the smaller greens because I flat ran out of room.  I picked the one zucchini that was left, a couple of small scallop squash, and all the peppers that were decent size.  

The tomatoes that are partially ripened, even if they are just starting to turn colors will continue to ripen.  Some people say to put them in a window, but I just left them in the tubs and after a few days, I had many ripe tomatoes.  In fact, I froze a couple of gallon bags so far.  I am not much of a fan of green tomatoes but I did gift them to some people who are.  The ones that are not ripening are great treats for my goats, so I take them a couple each feeding instead of animal crackers for treats.  The chickens like them too!

Today I decided I had better do something with the peppers.  I love fresh bell peppers on a salad, but I just can't eat this many that fast.  So I freeze them in strips for use in fajitas, soups, or a million other ways.  A little trick that I use when cutting up this many peppers, especially when they are on the small size like these is to use kitchen shears.  Works like a charm.  


When you cut the top of the pepper at the stem end, you pull out the center core and the seeds that are with it.  After all the money I spent on seedlings last year, I decided to start as many as possible from seeds.  These plants were great producers so I kept some of the seeds.  


The seeds are wet so to store them you have to let them dry out or they will mold.  So I taped a paper towel to a plastic lid and put the seeds on it to dry.  After they are completely dry, just put them in a baggy and store them until next year.  


I also had some jalapenos to preserve.  My husband loves jalapenos.  Me....not so much.  I used some of them in my salsa and I canned a few jars for him in a dilly brine for him to put on burgers.  The few I have from this last picking aren't enough to do much with.  I decided the best way is to chop them and package them for use in chili, casseroles, etc.

So what seems like a hundred years ago, I used to work for a Mexican food manufacturer.  We made refried beans, salsas, tortillas, etc. and processed them and sold them to supermarkets.  One year we hired a guy who was an ex-football player.  He was given the job of grinding the peppers for the salsa.  It was a standing joke that he cried like a girl because he didn't wear gloves that the jalapenos burnt his skin.  Well, I am here to tell you that it is not a joke.  Jalapenos contain capsaicin, a chemical that produces the burning sensation that you feel when you eat spicy food.  If you get this on the skin, you will feel like you are on fire.  So, if you are new to working with hot peppers, rule #1:  Always wear gloves.  Rule #2:  Do not touch your eyes or other parts of your body with your gloved hand.

Recently I found this box of disposable food-grade gloves at a garage sale for a quarter.  They are the kind that they wear at the Sub shop when they are making your sandwich.  These work great!  And they are so cheap that if you need to take them off, you can just get a new pair when you are done.  

I used my little Ninja food chopper.  After coring the peppers and taking out many of the seeds, I ground them up and packaged a tablespoon in each of several bags.  I can just throw these into whatever I am cooking.  Easy Peasy.  
I had these little bags in my craft supplies.  After I packaged up a half dozen or so, I put them in sandwich bags and stuck them in the freezer.  Make sure you mark the bags so if you forget, which I am likely to do, you know what you have.

There were quite a few seeds so I saved some and set them out to dry in the same way I did the bell pepper seeds.


. You can freeze peppers without blanching and when using jalapenos, customize the package to fit your needs.  If you like your food spicier, leave in more seeds or make the portions larger.  They do tend to get soft when thawed, so it is best to use them in cooking.

After finishing up with my peppers, I headed out to the flower garden to trim back some of the Rose of Sharon bushes that are taking over.  I pruned them back really far and took the branches and leaves to Laverne and Shirley for a little goat treat.  I also decided to save some marigold seeds while I was in there messing around.  I have done this for years and it is easy and nearly mistake-proof.  As marigolds finish flowering, the flower dries and leaves a pod.  It will dry out and produce seeds.  I have beautiful marigolds every year and never buy any seeds.  



Separate the seeds from the pod and put them on a paper towel to completely dry out.  I share these seeds with my friends and family.  Marigolds love bright sunlight, warm or hot weather, and are known to keep deer and rabbits away because of their distinct smell.

One final pic before I go.  Our front yard Maple tree is showing her stuff this year.  I really think she likes Fall too!



No comments:

Post a Comment