Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Another Busy Week On the Homestead!

 Don't think for a hot minute that I am complaining about being busy.  No sireeee.  I would rather have loads to do than sit around twiddling my thumbs.....do people still say that?  So last week we had our monthly bee meeting on Monday night.  We have had quite the struggle with bees this year.  We purchased a nuc and set it up and within three days it was gone.  I called a fellow bee meeting member that we bought them from and asked what I did wrong.  He made it right and gave me another nuc at no charge.

Now if you don't know much about bees, a nuc, short for nucleus, is a set of five frames, complete with bees, honey, brood (bee eggs), and the almighty queen.  We ended up with three different nucs of bees and they all absconded.  We had two of the experts from our club come out to identify any problems, but no one could find any.  We assume that the equipment had somehow been in contact with some chemical that the bees did not like.  We purchased a hive from someone else and it is doing well.  


The garden has been growing crazy!  I had so many squash that I had to donate thirty of them to a local food bank.  

I am up to 20 bags of squash in my freezer, have canned 15 pints of bread and butter pickles and some tomato soup.  I also froze some squash for frying.  I found a recipe online but to tell you the truth, it was a mess, took a lot of time, and seemed to stick together.  If it works this winter, I will be amazed.  I have 15 bags of servings for two frozen.  

Off to make deviled eggs!  More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment