Friday, January 20, 2012

A yummy way to use up those chips.....

My kids have always poked fun at me because I hate to throw things away.  Even food.  After the veggie tray is picked over, I make soup.  When there are only crumbs left in the tortilla bag, I make Taco Casserole.  It is really simple to make and so inexpensive.  Just brown a pound of ground beef along with some chopped onions.  Add a can of tomatoes (I like using my home canned ground tomatoes), a 32oz can of refried beans and spices to taste.  I add salsa for a little spice or peppers, salt, pepper and a little chili powder. Add about a half cup to a cup of water and throw in all those chip crumbs to equal a cup or more.  Top with cheese and bake until the liquid is absorbed.  Yummy!

I dump the remnants of the chip bags into a plastic bag and add to it until I have enough.  I do the same with bread crusts.  You can put frozen bread crust or stale bread in a blender and make crumbs for meat loaf.  You can put it in the oven and toast to be used in stuffing.  You can also butter, toast and season for delicious home-made croutons....

This country throws away way too much food each year.  The trick to reducing the waste is:
1. Buy what you need.  Sometimes buying in bulk is not your friend.

2.  Use your freezer.  Freeze that stale bread or abundance of veggies before they can mold or spoil.

3.  Get creative.  The internet has a wealth of recipes for using your leftovers.

Until next time.....keep saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment