Monday, August 22, 2011

Not too old to try something new.....

I had quite the experience last week.  We were moving from one construction yard to another and we have greatly downsized.  We decided to sell some of the scrap metal rather than move it or dump it.  I had no idea!  This is a huge business.  On the first load, we were unloaded by the CLAW.  Yep, it looks just like one of those claw devices where you try to pick up the stuffed animals only it was like 1000 time bigger.  We had all sorts of scrap metal.  The claw threw it up on a huge pile of bed springs, washing machines, cars and other assorted junk.  On the second trip, we (Scott, my son, and I) loaded up aluminum cans and copper wire.  There was a huge line to get in.  It was so entertaining!  There was a truck a couple of slots ahead of us.  There were three men in this compact truck.  I assume they were out of gas because they shut the truck off and pushed it forward each time the line moved.  Behind us was an old van full of what we called Hippies, who obviously did not have air conditioning.  They were using rags to wipe their arm pits.  There was a literal soccer mom, who drove a van with a soccer goal strapped to the top.  My favorite though, was the older man on a bicycle who had a very new-looking lawn mower strapped to the top. 

Though it was hard work and very hot, I had an enjoyable time and pocketed around $700 for our efforts.  I believe I will go back!  Next time, with my camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment